I knew I liked this salmon. But once I watched my daughter devour an entire fillet out of no where, I knew this recipe was a true keeper.
We eat salmon in some form or another at least once a week. Every time, I put take about an ounce off of my fillet and put it on my daughter's plate. It hasn't been since she was an infant though that I could reliably assume she would actually eat that little bit offered.
There must've been something about this fortuitous night that made her devour this fish.
I think it had to be this marinade.
Plus, maybe a solid 50 times of repeated food exposure finally beginning to make a positive impact.
My 2.5 year old went from taking the occasional taste of salmon to scarfing down an entire fillet (i.e. MY entire fillet!). I was busy feeding her baby sis while she kept getting a little more...more...more...until she ate the entire piece of salmon!
I must say though, I've never been so pleased to be left with no main protein on my plate! It looks like it is time to start making our daughter her own piece of fish so she doesn't eat all of mine.
What a great problem to have.
Prep time: 10 mins / Cook time: 15 mins / Total time: 25 mins
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 salmon fillets, thawed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil (or fresh if you have it)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or fresh if you have it)
- Mix ingredients in 9x13 pyrex dish (large enough for fish).
- Place thawed salmon flesh side down into marinade.
- Cover and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Place fillets skin side down on hot grill.
- Brush fillets with excess marinade every few minutes. Cook 10-15 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- Remove from grill and serve immediately.
To prevent waste, I usually half this recipe when cooking the 2-3 fillets for my family. This recipe was larger for those with more mouths to feed, or for when having friends over. Adjust ingredients accordingly based on your family size or serving needs.