These are simple, four-ingredient energy bites that combine the creaminess of almond butter with a little texture from whole almonds. I admit, I am a fan of energy bites that have more whole nut pieces than nut butters. I continue to experiment with what the right ratio is, but these seemed to hit it pretty spot on IMO. I like the texture being more LARA bar like, rather than coating your mouth with the PB&J type taste that leaves you reaching for a drink.
I bring these with us often as an easy, energy-dense and yet all-natural snack option! Just be sure your child does well with small nut pieces and the thickness of a little almond butter before introducing.
Cherry Almond Energy Bites
Veggies and Virtue
~15 balls, depending on size
These are simple, four-ingredient energy bites that combine the creaminess of almond butter with a little texture from whole almonds.
- 1 cup almond, raw
- 15 dates, pitted
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- In food processor with the chop blade attachment, add almonds. Pulse until almonds are a fine pulp.
- Add dates and dried cherries. Pulse until all pieces are small and blended.
- Add almond butter. Continue to pulse until ingredients start to stick together and a ball forms within the food processor. If too dry, add 1 Tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- When finished chopping/mixing, carefully remove the blade.
- Form mixture into small, 1/2-1-inch balls. Roll each in dried, unsweetened coconut.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to one week. May freeze leftovers for a future time.